Письмо 1945 года



July 11, 1945
(Vaihingen, Germany)
Dear Mudder and Dad,
Well, while I’m waiting to go on guard duty I’ll at least start this letter. I suppose you saw in the paper that
“Ye olde 100th Division” is slated to stay in the E.T.O. until the first of next year at any rate. I’m perfectly satisfied with that arrangement.
I’ve been sick as the devil for the last few days—diarrhia. I probably spelled that
wrong. Today I finally got something for it. Hope it does some good
since I’m getting tired of living in the bathroom.
I’m guarding a Russian camp and we are having a time. Last evening a bunch
of them got drunk and a fight ensued. You should have seen me holding 2
of them apart. They were trying to hit one another but succeeded only in
hitting me. They were both husky but the way Russians fight nobody
could get hurt. They stand sideways to one another and strike out with
the backsides of their forearms. I suppressed a desire to knock their
heads together. After we calmed them down they wanted us to drink some
Schnapps with them. Wot a bunch.
Gotta go now. I’ll write again later.
Best Love,
Bill

http://taylorletters.blogspot.ru/2010_04_01_archive.html